Message from Donna M. Hitscherich ’90, Senior Lecturer in the Discipline of Business Finance and Economics and Director of the Private Equity Program
Dear Friends of the Private Equity Program:
I hope you all had an enjoyable summer. The Private Equity Program has several innovative programs and new research initiatives underway which are described in this our sixth edition of the Private Equity Program Newsletter. These include:
• Deal Camp is now in its third year. In 2013 we will be inviting more alumni to attend Deal Camp and I invite you to consider whether you would like to attend Deal Camp or send a junior member of your staff. Highlights of prior Deal Camps appear in the Deal Camp video.
• Alston & Bird alumni series is now in its second year and just completed an all alumni panel discussion on the opportunities in healthcare for the private equity industry. Our 2013-2014 series will focus on verticals which present opportunities for private equity.
• Research is underway with Damon J. Phillips, James P. Gorman Professor of Business Strategy and SAP Americas on the role of technology and other societal influences on the various generations in today's workforce. The first phase of the research surveying the incoming and second-year EMBA and MBA students on a variety of issues is nearing completion.
• Research with Charles W. Calomiris, Henry Kaufman Professor of Financial Institutions on the cost to target companies that choose to include a go shop clause in a merger agreement with a private equity bidder appears in the current issue of Columbia Ideas at Work and was highlighted in the Wall Street Journal.
In addition to these programs and research initiatives, I am pleased to welcome Margaret Cannella `76 as the Administrative Director of the Private Equity Program. In this role, Margaret will work to insure that our Business School students are as prepared as possible to access career opportunities in the private equity industry. Margaret’s long and distinguished career on Wall Street makes her uniquely qualified to accomplish this endeavor. Under her direction, the Private Equity Program has launched the Private Equity Fellows Program.
The Program's mission, to bring together financial theory and practice in the private equity industry, can only be accomplished with the help of our Columbia alumni community and the many friends of the Private Equity Program. Margaret, Greta and I want to thank all of you who have reached out to us as we strive to fulfill the Program’s mission and further connect our alumni.
The Private Equity Program Newsletter reaches over 3,000 friends of the Private Equity Program and is a great way for all of us to stay in touch. If you have any information to share, please contact us.
Donna M. Hitscherich
|Watch the Deal Camp video
Margaret Cannella `76 Joins the Private Equity ProgramMargaret Cannella ‘76, an Adjunct Professor at Columbia Business School, has joined the Private Equity Program as Administrative Director. Cannella will join Private Equity Program Director, Donna M. Hitscherich, Senior Lecturer in the Discipline of Business, Finance and Economics.
Cannella will use her deep foundation in the finance industry and extensive work with young talent to launch a Private Equity Fellows Program – an intensive for select students seeking to deepen their knowledge through working closely with alumni mentors, writing cases and attending lectures on core technical skills as well as other competencies required through the private equity deal process. Read more
Private Equity Program Advisory Board
Gary Appel ’77, Read more
Executive in Residence, Columbia Business School; Vice Chairman of Corporate Investment-North America at Investcorp - Jeffrey Barber ’01
Managing Director, TA Associates, Inc.
- Kenneth A. Buckfire `87
CEO and Managing Director, Miller Buckfire
- Jeff Bunder
Global Private Equity Leader, Ernst & Young LLP
- Margaret Butler ’01
Of Counsel, Greenberg Traurig - David E. De Leeuw ’69
- Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Lion Chemical Capital LLC
- Co-Founder & Chairman, Lion Cao Asset Management LLC
- Stewart K.P. Gross ’87
Managing Director, Lightyear Capital
- Rebecca John ’01
Partner, Lexington Partners - Adam Reinmann ’04
Director, Wendel Group - Alisa A. Wood ’08
Managing Director, KKR
THANK YOU to the Sponsors of this newsletter
Deal Camp December 6-8, 2013
SAVE THE DATE: 20th Annual Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference
Congratulations to the 2014 Student Conference team as they celebrate the 20th Anniversary of their Annual Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference which will be held at the Sheraton on February 28, 2014
Advisory Board Meeting September 10, 2013
L-R: Margaret Isa Butler '01 with PE/VC Club Co-Presidents Rick Zullo `14 and Patrick Chang `14 and Knight Bagehot Fellow Gabe Friedman`13 The Advisory Board with Dean R. Glenn Hubbard, Russell L. Carson Professor of Finance and Economics
Private Equity & Healthcare September 24, 2013
On September 24, 2013 over 75 alumni and friends of the Private Equity Program attended the panel at Alston & Bird LLP.
The event was moderated by
Private Equity Program Director, Donna M. Hitscherich
’90, with panelists Tracy L. Bahl `04
, Special Advisor, General Atlantic; David Common `85
, Managing Director and Head of North American High Yield Credit Research, JP Morgan; Tim Cook `11
, Vice President, General Atlantic; Stacy Evans `11
, Senior Director - Business Development at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Anand Marathe `07
, Vice President in the Barclays Healthcare Group and Mark F. McElreath
, Partner at Alston & Bird LLP.
Private Equity Program Photos
We are always posting new photos on our Flickr account!
Looking for a Columbia Private Equity Candidate?
The Private Equity Program has been meeting with recruiters and private equity professionals to discuss how the Program in cooperation with The Career Management Center can best help in providing top talent. If you are a recruiter or private equity professional interested in discussing Columbia recruiting or have comments or questions, please contact us
. If you have a specific job ready to post, go directly to www.gsb.columbia.edu/jobpost
Private Equity Program on Twitter